In accordance with 202.3657
Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit to any person who is qualified to possess a handgun under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:
- Is 21 years of age or older;
- Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and
- Demonstrates competence with handguns by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that the applicant:
- Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or
- Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety
Such a course must include instruction in the use of handguns and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless the sheriff determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.